Saturday, January 1, 2011

reflection

I don't really believe in making New Years resolutions, most of the time, people make them, they last 2 weeks maybe a month, and they are over. I've been there, done that. I know to make a real change, it has to come from deep within. Your heart has to be in it. You have to be really ready.
The last 6 months or so, my heart hasn't been in it. I eat like crap, then say, Monday I'm back to counting my calories, by Tuesday I'm off again. It's been a cycle. And it has gotten me no where. I set goals, then find ways to sabotage them.
It is time I change this. I woke up this morning to an email from a good friend. She doesn't know how much her words of encouragement, her friendship, her strength mean to me. She has been an inspiration to me this past year. She said " A 1/2 marathon is a perfect way
to start the year runnin'! You will do well I know it."
Well ok then! No more looking at this 1/2 marathon like it is going to defeat me! I will defeat it! I can do anything I set my mind to!
2011 bring it on!

2 comments:

  1. Hey Becky,

    You are spot on with the New Years Resolution thing. In the gym setting, I call them the New Years Resolutionary's - those who show up, train hard 7 days a week and by February are no longer seen anywhere near the gym. In fact, you hit the nail on the head - it's about a change of Mind, a change of Heart and a change of Spirit that sets the stage for true transformation; transformation that is long-term and healthy.

    Now, about this 1/2 marathon - sounds like you have only a short time to prepare. Couple pieces of advice:
    1 - don't try to fit in 3 months of training in a couple weeks. Overtraining now will make your race waaaay not fun. Better to show up at the start line fresh and undertrained than pooped and overtrained.

    2 - rather than thinking in terms of "defeating" the 1/2 marathon, take a more relaxed non-dualistic approach (win/defeat). Instead, think of it as an opportunity to learn and grow. Show up as prepared as you can be, and regardless the outcome, know that you will be a better person for having done the race with an open mind and an open heart. I know it may sound like a matter of semantics, or a little "New Age-y", but it truly changes your perception and changes your experience during the run. In this "game" (1/2 Marathons and BTWG), there is no win or lose, only choices and consequences.

    Let me know if you have questions or need any help!

    Look forward to meeting you soon!

    Chris

    ReplyDelete